Tuesday, January 27, 2009

"Are you sure?"

I am always amazed at the reactions I get when I ask for no plastic bags at different grocery stores here in the area.

I almost always get these responses...

-"Are you sure?"
-"Really?"
-or (the "why are you not taking my plastic bags" look)

(Photo-from Joe Harrison)
These responses just remind me that there are way too many people out there that are just completely out of the loop when it comes to recognizing and acting upon important environmental issues.

I am really thinking that maybe I should start handing out little information cards to these people with some facts that would inform them on the effects of these "convenient" plastic bags ...and maybe this would encourage them to make a change too~

besides, it is way more stylish to walk out with multiple cute & unique totes/reusable bags...and just as convenient once you kick in the habit of bringing those bags with you & always leaving some in the car for backup.

(Flip & Tumble Bags)

Here are some facts I could include on these cards:

-Plastic bags aren’t biodegradable. They actually go through a process called photodegradation—breaking down into smaller and smaller toxic particles that contaminate both soil and water, and end up entering the food chain when animals accidentally ingest them.
-Plastic bags also pose a serious danger to birds and marine mammals that often mistake them for food. Thousands die each year after swallowing or choking on discarded plastic bags.
- Finally, producing plastic bags requires millions of gallons of petroleum that could be used for transportation or heating.
(environment-about.com)

There are plenty more sad facts out there, but I think even just one of those is enough for people to change their "convenient ways" and start bringing in their own reusable bags. Most stores sell reusable bags for a dollar (unfortunately, i've heard of people buying these and then throwing them away...???? ) people are confused...
There are tons and tons of cute bags out there on the net & in stores that make a perfect plastic bag replacement.

My mom has made me the most adorable bags using the exact same pattern as the plastic bags that are out there now (so you can fit as many goods and even more for it is super strong) Am and Kimberly own one as well. :)


(I will be working on those little information cards, if you have any suggestions please share! :)

-Lu


wonderful link: http://www.reusablebags.com/

0 comments:

Blog Widget by LinkWithin